Solomon Harris is a full service corporate/commercial law firm specialising in international offshore work and is recognised as a leader for its captive insurance expertise. The firm prides itself on its business-focused, commercially-sound, legal advice.
In 2012 in recognition of the work carried out by its insurance group, Solomon Harris was awarded the coveted title of “Offshore Law Firm of the Year” at the US Captive Services Awards. We are one of the leading law firms, if not the leading law firm, in the Cayman Islands for captive insurance, as well as life insurance, and work on a regular basis with captive owners, onshore brokers and Cayman insurance managers both on the set up and ongoing operation of Cayman captives. We have particular expertise in relation to healthcare captives and have worked with a number of for-profit and not-for-profit healthcare systems. We have also considerable experience in the area of workers compensation.
Our insurance group comprises, head of insurance and partner,Paul Scrivener, partner, Ian Jamieson, senior lawyer, Kay Carter and associate, Stefanie Suckoo.
We are very familiar with the myriad of issues that face offshore captives and our expertise includes:
- forming captives, including preparation of the constitutional documents
- in relation to association or group captives, preparing or reviewing shareholders agreements, subscription agreements and participation agreements
- advising on reinsurance agreements
- reviewing letters of credit
- assisting with group lending arrangements impacting captives
- reviewing captive management agreements
- advising on loss portfolio transfers and commutation arrangements
- establishing segregated portfolio companies and preparing all legal documentation including converting existing captives into segregated portfolio companies
- advising on the mergers of captives by statutory amalgamation
We frequently attend captive board meetings and shareholder meetings.
We have worked with virtually all of the Cayman insurance managers and the leading US law firms specialising in this sector.
We are associate members of the Insurance Managers Association of the Cayman Islands .
Paul Scrivener is a regular speaker at insurance conferences and was instrumental in assisting in the development of Cayman’s recently enacted incorporated cell company legislation for the insurance sector.
With almost 30 years as a practising lawyer, Paul’s insurance law expertise is widely recognised. His reputation is acknowledged in such publications as Chambers Global and Legal 500. Paul is a regular speaker at insurance conferences and was instrumental in assisting in the development of Cayman’s recently enacted incorporated cell company legislation for the insurance sector.
Kay is a senior lawyer with a growing reputation in the insurance sector for timely and practical advice. She is recognised in Chambers Global.
Stefanie trained with Solomon Harris and has developed a particular flair for insurance work. Stefanie assists both Paul Scrivener and Kay Carter in all aspects of the busy insurance practice.